Let’s be clear, I’m not going anywhere any time soon. This is not an announcement of any kind.
I saw a Facebook post from a friend about a biodegradable urn that would convert your physical form into a tree. Pretty cool idea, really.
I have a different plan for what I want done.
I want to both share some of my special places with my kids/wife and to be a part of those same places. I envision a tour of my most beloved waters with a little bit of my ashes deposited in each place.
- The Upper Sacramento River – My home water, where I learned to fly fish. Specifically, the riffle just below the Prospect Ave access point. That has been one of the best spots to me and for me through the years.
- The McCloud River – Beauty and solitude and emerald green waters. Love this place. I think I’d hope to be deposited in the camp waters behind the Ah Di Nah campground.
- The Babine River – There is a hole on the Babine named Strom’s Pool, named after my grandfather. I only fished it once and I didn’t land a fish there, but it would be fitting to leave part of myself there.
- Grand Bahama – This is where I caught my first bonefish, right behind Deep Water Cay with an independant guide from Mclean’s town.
- Belize, El Pescador – My grand slam and my honeymoon. Some fantastic memories.
I think if my children got to go on that pilgrimage they should find something they love along the way.
Here’s to hoping they make that trip in 40 years.
- If you liked the story above, check out these stories below
- Babine, the book... totally not bonefish related. (0.508)