The good folks at Orvis recently posted up a list of ten tips to help your experience be all that you want it to be when you head down to El Pescador. The list comes from Ali… who we’ve met and interviewed in this VERY BLOG!
Ah… Belize… it’s been sooooo long (actually, just in November, but sooooo much has gone on since then). El Pescador was good to me… a grand slam on my first tarpon and permit? Seriously? That’s just silly.
Here’s my list of 5 things I can think of to help make your Belize/El Pescador trip all it can be…
- Bring lots of #8 gotcha’s in various colors… don’t do what I did and have a couple that I only had one color of.
- Put weed guards on the good stuff.
- Have your box organized so you know which flies have weed guards and which don’t.
- Strip fast for the permit, but feed the tarpon.
- Leave the 8 at home… 7 for the bones, 9 for the permit, 10-11 for the poons.
Other things I think of when I think of that trip… the beers are less than 12.oz and that means you need to keep track of how many of those things you drink… we had a beer tab of just shy of $400… for three days.
There are places with bigger bonefish, for sure. There are probably places with bigger tarpon at times of year. However… if you are looking for a grand slam… there probably isn’t a better place to get it done… anywhere.
- Unique Post