I decided to go through the interviews I’ve done so far and see if there were any trends in what folks are throwing. I was surprised at the variety.
There is no clear winner and some of the folks I expected to be clear favorites really didn’t turn out that way. Here are the cliff-notes:
- The Nautilus was the favored reel by Kristen, Vince, Joe and Vaughn… that ties for top reel of the group.
- Paris and Craig both like the Abel Super 8 and Scott and Vaughn also favor Abels, for the draw at the top.
- Paris, Shane, Scott and Vaughn all like the G. Loomis GLX, making the GLX the top rod of the group.
- The Scott S4S was second with three anglers, Vince, Kristen and Joe.
- Joe and Vince and Kristen all throw a Scott s4s with a Nautilus reel, the only exact matches of my interview subjects to-date.
- Aaron and Davin both like Lamson Lightspeed reels.
- Davin and Craig both like to throw Winston B2x rods.
- Bill and Lori-Ann like the Sage Xi3.
- There were other rods and reels mentioned… Ross, Tibor, Galvan and St. Croix were mentioned as well.
The most expensive pairing would be the Abel Super 8 (around $775) and the Orvis Helios (at about $795) for a cool $1,570.
The cheapest pairing, as close as I could figure was the Okuma SLV ($55) and the Ross Worldwide ($229) for a whopping $284.
If you’ve been following the blog for a while, you know which direction I’d likely go.
The take away, for me, has been to throw what you like… what you can afford (or trick people out of). It comes down to personal preference. The next time someone tells you that all the pro’s throw this or that, you can call BS and say that actually, folks throw all sorts rods at all sorts of price points.
- Unique Post