While I got a few things wrong, I did make some good decisions and had some of the right stuff with me.
- Having some of the super hair chartreuse flies for cudas was a really good call.
- I had enough Gotchas in different sizes that I could have fished for bones for another three weeks.
- The tarpon bunnies were good patterns and if I had them in a 3/0 I would likely have been feeding tarpon with them.
- The leaders I tied were effective and worked for bonefish and for tarpon. The 80 pound shock tippet was perfect on even the big fish and the bimini twists I tied didn’t fail. I didn’t have a single leader fail or a single knot fail.
- The reels I primarily used were the Ross F1 for the 8 wt, the Orvis Mirage for the 10 wt and the Redington Delta for the 11. I had along a Ross CLA and a Ross Momentum, but they had on specific lines that didn’t get selected by the guides.
- The textured saltwater line for the 8 was a great line.
- The Orvis line was different… it sounded like a textured line and it cast very well.
- I cast a Rio clear sink tip for the 11 and the guides liked it, preferring it to the full floating line each time.
- Both of the 8 weights were lovely rods. The Sage One is light and responsive and did all I asked of it. The prototype was just as lovely and I’d be glad to have either one as my go-to 8.
- The 10, the Orvis Helios was a great rod. I’ve had that one before and I really like it. It might have been a little heavy for Permit, but it would have worked well for that and it was a good rod to have rigged for barracuda.
- The 11 Redington… it was heavy, but when it came time to do the business it got it done. That feels like a pretty important thing to judge by.