Here’s the score card from Spring Break, Caye Caulker, Belize
We’ll start with the Negatives:
- The one guided day coincided with the worst weather of the stay. Big rains and winds made the day a pretty short one for fly fishing and really tough looking for tarpon.
- The first night we were there happened to overlap with Easter celebrations at The Split. That meant loud music thumping until a little past 2:00 AM.
- I did not manage to knowingly cast at a tarpon.
- My daughter did not manage to catch anything on a fly rod.
- My daughter managed to lose her flip flops on the second day of the trip.
- We didn’t notice my daughter lost her flip flops because there was no reason to wear shoes of any kind until we were leaving.
- I had a perfect moment on the guided fly fishing day for a nice snook before the rains took over.
- My daughter smacked a really nice Jack for biggest fish of the trip.
- My daughter got to reel in a nice cuda, caught on bait, for the second biggest fish of the trip.
- My daughter was the Puffer Fish Queen, catching dozens off the beach at night just using a cup.
- The dock provided… I managed several bonefish off the Sea Dreams dock in the morning and evening, including one that was a legit 3-4 pounds.
- Sea Dreams staff were really, really nice.
- Met some really nice people who were staying there.
- The day AFTER the rain, we had absolutely perfect weather for a half-day of bait fishing and caught fish after fish after fish.
- The food was good and cheap on Caye Caulker.
- So was the beer.
- We did manage to SEE tarpon, in a canoe, at the spot where you can feed them.
- I managed a few jacks from the dock as well in the evening.
- The snorkeling was really, really great.
- When my bag got misplaced on the water taxi the assured me it would be found and returned and it was.
- They let my daughter sail the boat for a bit on the way back after snorkeling.
Bonus – A crab, we named Mr. Brown, came to visit from the septic system, which was a pretty good hoot (this was not normal and you should not expect this on your trip).