My Bahamas trip is coming up… well, in a month, but still, I’m gathering the gear I need. I’ve decided what rods and reels I’ll be sporting. Here’s the deets:
- 8 wt. TFO Clouser 8’9″ 4 pc. – My local fly shop (Off the Hook) is making me a deal on this rod and from the folks I’ve talked to it seems like a really sweet stick. It is intended to throw big bugs and heavy lines, so we’ll see how it does with the Rio Bonefish line I have coming for it. I’ve read that the folks who have used it have not missed those missing 3 inches.
- TFO Large Arbor – A sweet, sweet looking reel.
- Rio Bonefish Line Bruce Chard Bonefish Line by Teeny– 8 wt – Have not cast this line yet. I was going to fish the Rio line but talked to a guy who had his Rio line basically fall apart on him down in Belize. So, I switched to the Bruce Chard line.
- 8/9 wt. Albright GP 9′ 4 pc. – I cast this rod a little down in Vallarta, but never with the line/flies that I’d be using on the flats.
- Ross CLA 5 – I used this last trip on my 10′ 9wt. Good, solid reel capable of hanging in there with a dream-size bonefish.
- Scientific Angler Bonefish Line – 9 wt. – Used this line last year. It feels a little heavy for shallow water situations, but part of that may have been the rod. We’ll see.
Now, I would have also brought my St. Croix Legend Ultra, but it was stolen in Mexico… so… well, that makes it impossible to do that see. I guess I could invent a time machine, but I’m kind of busy raising my daughter and tying flies.
- If you liked the story above, check out these stories below
- My Toolbox for GBI (0.547)
- Interview with Bruce Chard (0.333)
Tags: Albright Rods, bonefishing, Bruce Chard, Rio, Ross Reels, Scientific Angler, Teeny, TFO Reels, TFO Rods